13 Reasons Why
Table of Contents
13 Reasons Why is an American Netflix series based on the 2007 novel Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and adapted by Brian Yorkey for Netflix. Diana Son and Brian Yorkey are co-showrunners on the series.
Originally conceived as a film set to be released by Universal Pictures with Selena Gomez in the lead role, the adaptation was picked up as a television series by Netflix in late 2015. Gomez served as an executive producer along with her mother, Mandy Teefey, as Selena didn't want to be in it.
The series received universal acclaim from critics and audiences, who praised its subject matter and casting. 
The series was renewed for a second season, to premiere in 2018.
Based on the best-selling books by Jay Asher, 13 Reasons Why follows teenager Clay Jensen as he returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who tragically committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Will Clay be one of them? If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, 13 Reasons Why weaves an intricate and heart wrenching story of teenage life that will deeply affect viewers.
Cast and Characters
- Dylan Minnette as Clay Jensen
- Katherine Langford as Hannah Baker
- Christian Navarro as Tony Padilla
- Alisha Boe as Jessica Davis
- Brandon Flynn as Justin Foley
- Justin Prentice as Bryce Walker
- Miles Heizer as Alex Standall
- Ross Butler as Zach Dempsey
- Devin Druid as Tyler Down
- Michele Selene Ang as Courtney Crimsen
- Amy Hargreaves as Lainie Jensen
- Josh Hamilton as Mr. Jensen
- Derek Luke as Kevin Porter
- Kate Walsh as Olivia Baker
- Brian d'Arcy James as Andrew Baker
- Sosie Bacon as Skye Miller
- Steven Weber as Principal Gary Bolan
- Mark Pellegrino as Sheriff's Deputy Standall
- Henry Zaga as Brad
- Steven Silver as Marcus Cole
- Tommy Dorfman as Ryan Shaver
- Ajiona Alexus as Sheri Holland
- Keiko Agena as Mrs. Bradley
- Uriah Shelton as Pratters
- Brandon Larracuente as Jeff Atkins
- Timothy Granaderos as Montgomery de la Cruz
- Joseph C. Phillips as Mr. Davis
- Cindy Cheung as Karen Dempsey
- Robert Gant as Todd Crimsen
- Wilson Cruz as Dennis Vasquez
Concept and Development
Universal Studios purchased film rights to the novel on February 8, 2011, with Selena Gomez cast to play the lead role of Hannah Baker. On October 29, 2015, it was announced that Netflix would be making a television adaptation of the book with Gomez instead serving as an executive producer. Tom McCarthy was hired to direct the first two episodes. The series is produced by Anonymous Content and Paramount Television with Gomez, McCarthy, Joy Gorman, Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Mandy Teefey, and Kristel Laiblin serving as executive producers.
Filming for the show took place in Northern California during the summer of 2016. All 13 episodes of 13 Reasons Why and the special, " 13 Reasons Why: Beyond the Reasons" were released on Netflix on March 31, 2017.
Original Air Date: March 31, 2017
Original Air Date: 2018
The show has brought awareness about suicide to teens. The series was also credited for an almost 100% increase in the number of calls to Brazil's suicide hotlines. Australian youth mental health service for 12–25 year-olds headspace, issued a warning in late April 2017 over the graphic content featured in the series due to the increased number of calls to the service following the show's release in the country
- Christian Navarro had to learn to drive and get his license before filming started to be able to drive the red Ford Mustang seen in the series.
- .Katherine Langford, the actress who portrays Hannah Baker, admitted that she hadn't read the book before starting filming, not knowing what she was in for and hadn't read it during filming and then realized that the story was getting quite heavy. Dylan Minnette, the actor who portrays Clay Jensen, also admitted he hadn't read the book before filming. 
- Selena Gomez commented in a panel interview for "13 Reasons Why" that she felt like the book was meant to become or be a series. 
- Mandy Teefey, Gomez's mother, also commented that she read the book and also felt like it was meant to become or be a series. 
- Selena Gomez was originally asked to be cast as Hannah Baker, but she stated that she didn't want there to be two different conversations: one about the Netflix series and the other focused on her. She asked for someone else to be cast to take the focus off of her. She felt the series needed to do the book justice for the young adults who related to the story line.
- Together, Selena Gomez, Alisha Boe and Tommy Dorfman got matching semi-colon tattoos. Brandon Flynn got the same tattoo, but did it at a separate time. No one else is known to have these tattoos in the cast or crew except for them.
- The sets for Monet's Cafe, the Bakers' drugstore and The Crestmont movie theater were built on location in empty stores located in downtown Vallejo, California within a few blocks of each other.
- Song: Game of Survival
- Album: Madness
- Artist: Ruelle
- Song: Monsters
- Album: Madness
- Artist: Ruelle
*Monsters and Game of Survival by Ruelle (Maggie Eckford) are the two leading songs that fit side by side into the promotional videos for 13 Reasons Why, they are the first two songs we hear of 13 Reasons Why, you can buy the songs on the three listed sites above or listen to them on Spotify or YouTube.