13 Reasons Why: Beyond the Reasons is a 30-minute-long mini-documentary directed by Brian Carroll. It features members of the original 13 Reasons Why cast talking about their experiences filming the show and executive producers Mandy Teefey and Selena Gomez talking about why they were motivated to create the show.
Several members of the original cast, such as Dylan Minnette (Clay Jensen), Katherine Langford (Hannah Baker), and others return in this documentary to talk about their experiences with bullying and filming the show. Professionals who deal with sexual assault and bullying victims talk about how things play out in the show and how you can spot the signs of victims, but how you can also say the wrong thing or completely miss the signs. Executive producers Selena Gomez and Mandy Teefey, Gomez's mother, talk about their motives for creating the show and why the show is special to Gomez in particular. Jay Asher is featured in the documentary as well, talking about his experiences with the cast and crew in making the show.
To be added.
Cast and Crew
Order of Appearance
- Alisha Boe
- Derek Luke
- Katherine Langford
- Brandon Flynn
- Justin Prentice
- Jay Asher
- Selena Gomez (sat alongside Mandy)
- Mandy Teefey (sat alongside Selena)
- Dylan Minnette
- Kate Walsh
- Tom McCarthy
- Brian Yorkey
- Dr. Hu (Psychiatrist, Stanford University School of Medicine.)
- Alexis Jones (Founder of "I Am That Girl" & "PROTECTHER")
- Dr. Helen Hsu (Licensed Clinical Psychologist)
- "It's definitely a generational thing, because my whole middle school and high school when we got home, all we would do is hop on, either it was Myspace, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. So that's our whole world, is our school and then social media. So that's why when you're being cyberbullied, you're being attacked by so many people, who are hiding behind, you know, a computer screen."
- ― Alisha Boe (on cyberbullying)
- ― Dr. Hu (on cyberbullying and adults)
- ― Selena Gomez (on Photographic Cyberbullying)
- ― Alexis Jones (on cyberbullying)
- ― Brian Yorkey (on the downplay of cyberbullying from adults)
- ― Mandy Teefey (on 13 Reasons Why)
- ― Brian Yorkey
- "The topic of slut shaming, like what happened with Hannah, we're in a place where, on the one hand, girls feel incredible pressure to be rated on being attractive, to be popular, to be good-looking, to look perfect o Instagram. And yet if it goes just a touch too far somehow, now you're a slut, nobody likes you, you're not worthy of being a "real" girlfriend."
- ― Dr. Helen Hsu (on Slut-Shaming)
- ― Dr. Helen Hsu
- ― Alexis Jones
- ― Katherine Langford
- ProtectHer is a locker room program educating male athletes on the importance of respecting women, founded by Alexis Jones, who appears in Beyond the Reasons, talking about cyberbullying and bullying in general.