|“||What, me? Nowhere.||”|
|— Tyler Down|
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about the book 13 Reasons Why.
|This article is about the book character. You may be looking for the TV series character.|
Tyler Down, who is number four on Hannah's list, is accused of being a Peeping Tom and taking pictures of Hannah in her bedroom. He plays a minor role later on at a party, but he is the main focus of the fourth tape.
- A student at Hannah's new school, Tyler Down is a well-known photographer. He is a member of the school's yearbook class, where his responsibilities include capturing, "candid shots of the student body". Owning a vast array of expensive camera equipment, he once even won a state prize in the humor category, for his night vision photograph of a dog peeing.
As a Peeping Tom
- Tyler, presumably after reading the infamous list of who was hot or not, decided he wanted to get a closer look and take some pictures of Hannah.
Peeping Tom? No, thank you. We don't even want to give this guy a chance. But Tyler, number four on Hannah's list, is one of the book's most problematic characters. Hannah accuses him of stalking her, spying on her, and taking pictures through her bedroom window. The problem is, Hannah doesn't have any real evidence that the person outside her window was Tyler. Even though Clay Jensen accepts her accusations as true, responsible readers cannot.
- When Hannah and Courtney Crimson surprise the peeper, neither of them sees his face or recognizes him as Tyler. Hannah bases everything on the fact that Tyler owns camera equipment and that he responded nervously when she asked him where he was on the night in question. She never sees actual pictures or confronts Tyler directly, even when she gives him a ride home.
- Hannah blames Tyler for taking away the safety of her bedroom. But she is unable to either confront him about it to be sure or report her suspicions to her parents or someone else who might be able to look into the matter and help her deal with it.
- As a result, Hannah might have done to Tyler what others have done to her – make him the target of rumors and bullies. Marcus Cooley and two others have already broken Tyler's window with rocks, and the tapes haven't even made their full circuit.
- Whether or not Tyler really is the peeper, it isn't really the issue here. The issue is that he isn't given a chance to defend himself and just like Hannah, he has become a victim.